[Lustre-discuss] o2ib module prevents shutdown

Tue Apr 15 10:15:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:07 -0500, Michael Sternberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not sure if this is the right forum:  I'm encountering difficulties
> with o2ib which prevents an LNET shutdown from proceeding:
>
> 	Unloading OpenIB kernel modules:NET: Unregistered protocal family 27
> 	Failed to unload rdma_cm
> 	Failed to unload rdma_cm
> 	Failed to unload ib_cm
> 	Failed to unload ib_sa
> 	LustreError: 131-3: Received notification of device removal
> 	Please shutdown LNET to allow this to proceed
>
> This happens on server and client nodes alike.  We run RHEL5.1 and
> OFED 1.2, kernel 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5_lustre.1.6.4.3smp from CFS/Sun.
>
> I narrowed it down to module ko2iblnd, which I attempt to remove
> first (added to PRE_UNLOAD_MODULES in /etc/init.d/openibd), but it
> doesn't work.  Strangely, in "lsmod" the use count of the module is
> one, but I don't see where it's used.

To ask what might sound like a stupid question, but you do have all of
your lustre filesystems unmounted before you try to unload ko2iblnd,
yes?  Can you show us what's in /proc/mounts when you try to unload
ko2iblnd but it shows a refcount > 0?

b.