[Lustre-discuss] NFS Performance

Dan dan at nerp.net
Tue Apr 15 12:16:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

With help from Oleg we got the right patches applied and NFS working
well.  Maximum performance was about 60 MB/sec.  Last week that dropped
to about 12.5 MB/sec and I cannot find a reason.  Lustre clients all
obtain 100+ MB/sec on GigE.  Each OST is good for 270 MB/sec.  When
mounting the client on one of the OSSs I get 230 MB/sec.  Seems the
speed is there.  How can NFS and Lustre be tuned better?

Current config for 1.6.4.3 is below:

1.  MGS/OSS w/ 4 OSTs - mgs_max_num_threads=32, ost_max_num_threads=64
2.  OSS w/ 6 OSTs - ost_max_num_threads=64
3.  20 Lustre clients - all perform well (GREAT Lustre developers!!!!
this system is amazing!)
4.  NFS server runs from a Lustre client machine for 12 to 15 MB/sec
max.
5.  NFS server from the MGS (client on MGS/OSS = bad, I know!) can get
20 to 30 MB/sec
    - this got 60+ MB/sec in the past.

bugs and patches applied:

14360 - 14006 is the only patch
14379 - patch 14007 only since 14008 is reversed by 14591
13371 - bug for the above mentioned 14591 patch

With these patches the system is stable unless I bump the OST or MGS
threads too high.  Performance doesn't seem to change much with any
tuning.  I've adjusted the client via /proc and the OSTs and MGS
via /etc/modprobe.conf.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Dan