[Lustre-discuss] Does Lustre have any MPI-IO hooks?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Apr 16 19:47:41 PDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008  19:28 +0800, emoly.liu wrote:
> Chris Worley wrote:
> > Does Lustre have any MPI-IO hooks?
>
> I am not sure what kind of mpi-io hooks you want.

I think Chris means if there is an ADIO driver, and the answer is yes.

> > If so, which MPI's are supported, and, is there any docs to get started?
>
> We are working on adio lustre driver and you can track this on bug 12521.
> The new version lustre adio driver is in optimization and will be
> available in this or next month.
>
> If you want try original lustre adio driver, it should be in lustre/contrib.

This one is a bit older.  There is a new version which was contributed to
upstream:

On Feb 29, 2008  08:26 -0500, Weikuan Yu wrote:
> Per the announcement from the MVAPICH team, I am pleased to let you know
> that the MPI-IO support for Lustre has been integrated into the new
> release of MVAPICH, version 1.0.
>
>  > - Optimized and high-performance ADIO driver for Lustre
>  >    - This MPI-IO support is a contribution from Future Technologies
>  >       Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
>  >       (http://ft.ornl.gov/doku/doku.php?id=ft:pio:start)
>  >      - Performance graph at:
>  > http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/performance/mvapich/romio.shtml
>
> Please feel free to try it out and send your comments/questions to this
> lustre-discuss list or mvapich-discuss at cse.ohio-state.edu.

As Emoly notes, we are also improving the relationship between collective
MPI-IO and the Lustre striping, which should give significant performance
improvements.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.