[Lustre-discuss] Running low on inodes

D. Marc Stearman marc at llnl.gov
Thu Apr 17 10:47:45 PDT 2008

One of our production servers was created with 245M inodes,  which
was enough at the time, but then we doubled the size of the file
system and are now running low on inodes (only 27M available), and
capacity-wise, we are only 60% full.  We ran out of inodes once
already, and did a purge to reduce the number of filesystems.

I would like to migrate all the data on the MDS to another lun on the
RAID controller.  I can format a new file system with more inodes and
move all the data on the MDS to the new file system.

Here is my question:  What tools are safe to use to copy all the MDS
data?  Are cp, tar, rsync, etc aware of all the EA data in ldiskfs?
Is there a lustre tool to copy all the information on the MDS over to
a new disk?

Thanks,

-Marc

----