[Lustre-discuss] lfs setstripe

Kaizaad Bilimorya kaizaad at sharcnet.ca
Thu Apr 17 19:48:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Brock Palen wrote:
> I don't think you need to do this.
> If i understand right, you can set the stripe size of the mount, and
> everything inside that directory inherits it, unless they them self's were
> explicitly set.

Hi Brock, thanks for the reply.

I have set the stripe count on the lustre mount using "lfs setstripe" but
the problem is that any sub directories that already existed under this
mount will have the default filesystem stripe count and not the new one I
set, so any new files created under these existent sub directories will
inherit their parent directory stripe count and not the newly set one
from the lustre mount.

eg:

/lustremount -> "lfs setstripe /lustremount 0 -1 2"
/lustremount/existing_dir -> has filesystem default stripe count (1 in
this case)
/lustremount/new_dir -> gets stripe count of parent (2 in this case)
/lustremount/existing_dir/newfile -> has filesystem default stripe count
of 1

So that is why I have to do either option 1 (change default) or 2
(traverse and set explicitly for all existing dirs) that I specified, but I
would like to know if there are any performance or other reasons not to do
option 2.

thanks
-k