[Lustre-discuss] lfs setstripe

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Apr 18 12:14:55 PDT 2008

On Apr 18, 2008  11:02 -0400, Brock Palen wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Kaizaad Bilimorya wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Brock Palen wrote:
> >> I don't think you need to do this.
> >> If i understand right, you can set the stripe size of the mount,
> >> and everything inside that directory inherits it, unless they them
> >> self's were explicitly set.
> >
> > Hi Brock, thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I have set the stripe count on the lustre mount using "lfs
> > setstripe" but the problem is that any sub directories that already
> > existed under this mount will have the default filesystem stripe
> > count and not the new one I set, so any new files created under
> > these existent sub directories will inherit their parent directory
> > stripe count and not the newly set one from the lustre mount.

Note that this is a new feature in 1.6.  I'm not sure if it was in the
1.6.4 release or only 1.6.5, but setting the striping on the root directory
will change the filesystem-wide default striping parameters, immediately
affecting all directories that do not have their own striping set.

This was considered a better interface for setting the default striping
than having to rewrite the MDS configuration file using a different
mechanism.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.