[Lustre-discuss] Lustre vs. pNFS & pCIFS

Gary Dale Gary.Dale at dalesys.com
Sun Apr 20 07:53:09 PDT 2008

I wonder, can anyone speak to the relative merits of pNFS and Lustre,
where you might choose one rather than the other? I know pNFS is a work
in progress but I would hope Sun and others understand the positioning
of these two products sufficiently well to articulate where they fit and
what workloads each is best suited to?

Also, I have noticed talk of pCIFS in this discussion and, since there
are plans for a Solaris version of Lustre (2.0 I believe) I cannot help
but wonder to what extent the new CIFS implementation in OpenSolaris
will be leveraged in the development of pCIFS? Surely these two are not
going to be independent code bases entirely?

Regards