[Lustre-discuss] Running low on inodes

D. Marc Stearman marc at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 21 08:15:26 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2008  10:47 -0700, D. Marc Stearman wrote:
>> One of our production servers was created with 245M inodes,  which
>> was enough at the time, but then we doubled the size of the file
>> system and are now running low on inodes (only 27M available), and
>> capacity-wise, we are only 60% full.  We ran out of inodes once
>> already, and did a purge to reduce the number of filesystems.
>>
>> I would like to migrate all the data on the MDS to another lun on the
>> RAID controller.  I can format a new file system with more inodes and
>> move all the data on the MDS to the new file system.
>>
>> Here is my question:  What tools are safe to use to copy all the MDS
>> data?  Are cp, tar, rsync, etc aware of all the EA data in ldiskfs?
>> Is there a lustre tool to copy all the information on the MDS over to
>> a new disk?
>
> If you have a very recent (1.17 from FC8) it supports the --xattr
> option
> to copy EAs.  Otherwise the recommended procedure is described in a KB
> article in bugzilla - a search for "backup & restore" gives bug 5716.

I think you left out a command name in there (I'm assuming you mean
tar).
So if we have a recent enough version of tar, I can skip the getfattr
command?

> Out of curiosity, how big is the MDS LUN, and how much free space is
> on the MDS?  We could reduce the default bytes/inode on the MDS to
> avoid
> this problem in the future.  On ZFS it will be a non-issue (dynamic
> inode
> allocation).

The LUN is 2TB (171.2G) in use.  245M inodes, 209M inodes in use.  At
the time the file system was created, we didn't expect users to
create this many files, and we wanted a reasonable number of inodes
to reduce fsck time.  Now that we have the fast fsck feature, we
aren't as concerned about the fsck time, and after we doubled the
filesystem, and the users started creating many small files, we found
ourselves in a bit of a bind.  I have another identical size lun on
the DDN controller, so copying the data over is no big deal, I just
want to make sure we don't lose the EAs.

I don't think the default bytes/inode is an issue.  We explicitly
chose this number of inodes, overriding the default.

Thanks for your help!

-Marc

----
D. Marc Stearman