[Lustre-discuss] state of sun x4500 drivers

Brian Behlendorf behlendorf1 at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 23 10:00:26 PDT 2008

Recently I have also been doing some linux work with the x4500 and I have been
using the sata_mv driver (v0.81).  The driver will properly detect all the
drives and you may access them safely.  However, from what I've seen the
driver needs some further development work to actually perform well.  I see
only 30 MB/s write rates to a single disk using a simple streaming dd test.
Much of this bad performance may simply be due to the fact that the driver
can not enable the disk write-back cache forcing you to use write-thru mode.

So currently the bottom line is linux will work on the x4500.  But to get it
working well someone is going to need to invest some development effort to
improve the linux driver.

Good luck,
Brian