[Lustre-discuss] Building modules against 1.6.4.3 kernel source

Aaron Knister aaron at iges.org
Sat Apr 26 13:37:53 PDT 2008

I'm trying to do 2 things and failing miserably at both. I had it
working in the past but for some reason now its broken.

I just downloaded 1.6.4.3 for rhel5 x86_64. I installed all the
required packages. My network is o2ib and modprobe.conf is set
accordingly. When I modprobe lustre it gives me an error about the
ko2iblnd module. I'm pretty sure that this is because the 1.6.4.3
kernel on the website was built using a different version of OFED than
the one provided in the kernel tree. Fair enough. So I went to
recompile the lustre modules and ran a ./configure --with-linux=/path/
to/kernel/source --with-linux-obj=/path/to/kernel-obj/source and it
bombed. So I ran these steps on the lustre kernel source tree which
worked in the past but only half work now-

cd /usr/src/<linux-lustre-kernel-source>/
make mrproper
cp /usr/src/<linux-kernel-source-obj>/x86_64/smp/.config .

#Edit Makefile
EXTRAVERSION = -55.0.9.EL_lustre.1.6.3smp
make menuconfig
make include/asm
make include/linux/version.h
make SUBDIRS=scripts
It runs correctly and I'm able to compile my kernel modules against
this tree without the --with-linux-obj ./configure option however when
I load the modules generated from this build I get an error about
"struct_module" not found and it taints my kernel. Odd thing is when I
do a modinfo on the module it shows the right version magic. I'm truly
lost here.

My questions are -

1. How do I build kernel modules against the lustre kernel source rpm
for RHEL5 that get versioning information

and

2. What version of the OFED was the linux kernel built against?

Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

Aaron Knister
Associate Systems Analyst
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies

(301) 595-7000
aaron at iges.org