[Lustre-discuss] lustre and noatime option

Tue Apr 29 12:53:16 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 13:09 -0600, Lundgren, Andrew wrote:
> I don't need to know the last access time on my files.  I looked
> though the manual, but didn't find a reference  to noatime.  Does
> lustre use that setting? (on the client and/or server)

I don't believe it does because...

> On a file system that is read heavily, I would expect to see a
> performance improvement by using that.  Is that true for lustre as
> well?

Lustre already handles atime in a pretty efficient manner.  Rather than
disable it completely we update it "lazily".  What that means is that
rather than sending immediate and explicit RPCs to update the atime we
will delay sending them (for up to 5 seconds, tunable IIRC) and try to
send atime updates "piggybacked" with other RPC traffic.

b.