[Lustre-discuss] Client is not accesible when OSS/OST server is down

David_Kewley at Dell.com David_Kewley at Dell.com
Tue Apr 29 12:53:49 PDT 2008

Perhaps the machine is not hung completely, but is only unable to
support logins.

There can be an issue if the login process attempts to access Lustre,
e.g. because the home directory is on Lustre, or perhaps when a
directory on Lustre is early in your $PATH.  I've seen logins and
existing shell sessions routinely hang in my setting when Lustre servers
encountered severe problems, while home directories were on Lustre and
Lustre was mounted on the login node.

I'm sure there are details there that a Lustre expert could fill in;
maybe there are some fail-soft mechanisms that should are designed to
prevent hangs by returning appropriate error codes.  So this may be more
an issue of the login mechanisms being unable to recover when attempts
to access an expected file or directory give some particular I/O error.

David