[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Solution Delivery

Sam Bigger Sam.Bigger at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 28 16:32:21 PDT 2008

Chris,

Just a tip on the Lustre help scenario. Don't wait till the last minute to get the Lustre guy
involved. If they can't just drop in one of the pre-built kernels (like Redhat ur Suse) it's going
to take some work. They will need to know if there is any wiggle room on which OS and/or kernel
revision is used. Some customers/demos have very specific requirements on this, some are more
relaxed, as in anything that's come out in the last year. So, they are going to need hardware details
like the exact OS requirements & kernel revision requirements,
type of disk storage (DDN, Engenio/LSI, other). They also need to know the IB stack (OFED, etc)
and if it's a switch dependant stack, then the brand of switch (i.e- voltaire, topspin, silverstorm) so they
know what options to compile the Lustre source with. If you are using CentOS, then you may get
by with a prebuilt redhat kernel that comes with an older version of OFED IB support in it. But, if
the customer requires the latest version of OFED, then you're in for some work.

-Sam