[Lustre-discuss] simulations

Mag Gam magawake at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 18:50:47 PDT 2008

We do a lot of fluid simulations at my university, but on a similar
note I would like to know what the Lustre experts will do in
particular simulated scenarios...

The environment is this:
30 Servers (All Linux)
1000+ Clients (All Linux)

30 Servers
1 MDS
30 OSTs each with 2TB of storage

No fail over capabilities.

Scenario 1:
Your client is trying to mount lustre filesystem using lustre module,
and it hung. Do what?

Scenario 2:
Your MDS won't mount up. Its saying, "The server is already running".
You try to mount it up couple of times and still its not

Scenario 3:
OST/OSS reboots due to a power outage. Some files are striped on this,
and some aren't What happens? What to do for minimal outage?

Scenario 4:
lctl dl shows some devices in "ST" state. What does that mean, and how
do I clear it?

I know some of these scenarios may be ambiguous, but please let me
know which so I can further elaborate. I am eventually planning to
wiki this for future reference and other lustre newbies.

If anyone else has any other scenarios, please don't be shy and ask
away. We can create a good trouble shooting doc similar to the
operations manual.

TIA