[Lustre-discuss] MDS

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 7 10:34:41 PDT 2008

Mag Gam wrote:
> Also, what is the best way to test the backup? Other than really
> remove my MGS and restore it. Is there a better way to test this?

If you really care about the backups, you need to be brave. If you can't
remove the MDS and restore it, then something is wrong with your backup
process. Many people seem to focus on the backup part and ignore the
'restore' bit, so I definately reccomend a live test.

That said, if you can bring up your backup MDT image on a separate node,
you could configure that node as a failover MDS - this would require you
to tunefs.lustre all the servers, and remount all the clients. Then you
can test restore using a 'manual failover' - and once you made the mount
changes, you could repeat this test at will, without even halting the
filesystem. Also, you would not have to 'remove' your primary MDS, just
stop that node.

If your MDS _does_ die, the failover config will cause a slightly longer
timeout (everybody will retry the alternate) but otherwise won't impact
you.

cliffw