[Lustre-discuss] ioDrive from Fusion-IO as an MDT?

Craig Prescott prescott at hpc.ufl.edu
Mon Aug 11 07:54:29 PDT 2008

Thanks for the replies and insights, Chris and Klaus!

What had attracted us to the ioDrive, particularly in the role
of MDT, was the extremely high IOPS figures it claims for small
I/Os.

With our current mirrored-SATA disk MDTs, we find that when
pdflush runs on the MDS during metadata-intense activities, the
MDT becomes 100% utilized with tiny I/Os, and await skyrockets
while the disks are swamped by all the requests pdflush is pushing
to disk.  While this is happening, the metadata-intense processes
grind to a halt, as do interactive activities like opening files
with editors, etc.  Everything gets moving again once the pdflush
is done, but this can last for tens of seconds, and our users do
notice this.  We've tuned the VM some on our MDS to mitigate this,
but we'd like to make this behavior go away completely.  If we can.

The metadata-intense activities I refer to are usually due to our
users managing their data interactively (i.e., removing enormous
numbers of dinky files).  Some of the applications they run do
I/O inefficiently, too (lots of
stat()/open()/write(tinyamount)/close()).  It seems like a more
capable MDT would help out such "bad" jobs, as well.

Anyway, that is the source of our interest in the ioDrive as an MDT.
During pdflush, we see less than 10MB/s of I/O being done to the MDT;
if the ioDrive can do lots more than that at a much higher IOPS rating,
it would seem that it would make a very nice MDT.

Cheers,
Craig