[Lustre-discuss] lustre + debian

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Thu Aug 14 09:57:52 PDT 2008

It's easy and then it's not. The Debian way is to download the Lustre kernel
packages and the Lustre binary packages. You build a kernel using make-kpkg
the --with-patches Lustre option, we found a bug when trying to use the
--append_to_kernel option so unless that got fixed, don't use it, it will
save you a lot of headache. When you have your nice new Debianized Lustre
kernel then install it and then reboot into the new kernel. Once in the new
kernel then run m-a and compile all the Lustre modules and load them up. You
are now ready to use Lustre Debian style. If deploying this on a cluster,
just install your ready made .debs for the kernel and modules. None of this
was explained in the README in /usr/share/doc/Lustre so we had to figure it
out ourselves. Hopefully the Debian folks have fixed that.

Do not use a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, only use the kernel source from
the Debian repository as the Lustre kernel packages are tested against them.

We have done this on Lenny about a year ago, I don't think Etch had Debian
packages for Lustre.

Robert