[Lustre-discuss] Log file opens/reads/etc?

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Tue Aug 19 10:48:25 PDT 2008

Hello Andreas,

My apologies for not explaining myself. :-)

The trusted computing standards I'm talking about (there are a few, some
good, some not so much) are effectively based on US Department of Defense C2
(aka Orange Book) security standards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCSEC

The best audit trail implementations I've seen are based on Sun's BSM,
adopted and implemented by both FreeBSD and Apple in their auditing code.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-1789

http://www.apple.com/support/security/commoncriteria/

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/audit.html

BSM-based auditing systems define classes of system calls, users, and groups
of users that are of interest -- file create, file read, login, socket
opens, people in the 'wheel' group, etc. -- and record a realtime log of
events as they occur within the kernel. This information is stored in a
packed binary format, and can be exploded into ASCII for parsing and
analysis using built-in tools, allowing you to establish a complete audit
trail of the operations of interest.

How Lustre would implement this I'm not sure, since it's object-based and
BSM auditing records file names ... but the idea is important, especially in
digital media where auditability keeps lawyers from the MPAA and the big
studios at bay.

cheers,
Klaus

On 8/18/08 9:13 PM, "Andreas Dilger" <adilger at sun.com>did etch on stone