[Lustre-discuss] HLRN lustre breakdown

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Aug 21 12:46:03 PDT 2008

> Actually, Lustre 1.6.5 does checksumming by default, and that is how
> we do our benchmarking.  Some customers will turn it off because the
> overhead hurts them.  New customers may not even notice it...  Also, for
> many workloads the data integrity is much more important than the speed.

I went digging in CVS HEAD for 'checksum', and it wasn't clear to me if
this was end-to-end (from file write all the way to disk), or just an
option for network RPC's.

Is there some design or architecture document on the checksumming? All I
could find was some references to the kerberos5 RPC checksums.