[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and ext4

Nikita Danilov Nikita.Danilov at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 22 04:49:44 PDT 2008

Mag Gam writes:

Hello,

 > It seems Lustre uses ext4 on its backends (OST/MDS) and I was curious
 > if kernel patching will be required in the future releases? I would be

default Lustre configuration uses `ldiskfs' as a back-end file system,
which is a modified ext4. ldiskfs is a separate file system type and a
separate module, so no kernel patching is needed for it. Other parts of
Lustre server do require changes to the core kernel code though.

 > nice to just compile the modules and be gone with it. But, I suppose
 > there are other technical issues that need to be ignored out for this
 > to work?

Nikita.