[Lustre-discuss] Input/Output error starting lustre 1.6.4.3smp

Fri Aug 22 11:22:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:12 -0400, Ms. Megan Larko wrote:
> Happy Friday!

Isn't it though?

> When I attempt to start lustre on this new MGS/MDT I receive the
> following errors:
> [root at mds ~]# modprobe lustre
> WARNING: Error inserting ptlrpc
> (/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.13.el5_lustre.1.6.4.3smp/kernel/fs/lustre/ptlrpc.ko):
> Input/output error

Hrm.  This seems a bit strange.

> The dmesg shows many unresolved symbols on the new
> MDS.

It will for any of the modules which were depending on ptlrpc.ko (which
failed to load).

> I am wondering if the "Input/output error" is a hardware-related
> issue?

Seems like it could be.  You will have to look at your dmesg carefully
for where the errors start.  Whatever is at the top is most relevant.
Or you can use dmesg -c to clear the ring buffer and try again.

> Any ideas as to why I cannot successfully access the
> ptlrpc.ko file?

Can you cat (or dd) it to /dev/null without error?

b.