[Lustre-discuss] lru_size very small

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Fri Aug 22 12:39:14 PDT 2008

Replying to my self (without an answer though).

It looks like lru_size is not a static parameter.  While on most of
our hosts it starts as zero.  Once the file system is accessed some
the values start to rise.  The values get highest for the MDS.

cat nobackup-MDT0000-mdc-000001022c433800/lru_size
  3877

So in 1.6.5.1  are lock dynamically adjusted based on ram available
on the MDS/OSS's?  Notice how the value above is _much_ higher than
the default '100' in the manual.

I should point out this value was 0  till I did a   'find . | wc -l'
in a directory.  The same is for regular access.  users on nodes that
access lustre have locks.  Nodes that have not had lustre access yet
are still 0  (by access I mean an application that uses our lustre
mount vs our NFS mount.)

Any feedback on the nature of locks and lru_size?
We are looking to do what the manual says about upping the number on
the login nodes.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing