[Lustre-discuss] HAMMER

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sat Aug 23 07:28:50 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 05:51:36PM +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> Mag Gam writes:
>  > Looks like there is another parallel filesystem similar to Lustre
>  > called "HAMMER".
>  > http://kerneltrap.org/DragonFlyBSD/HAMMER_Filesystem_Design
>
> Hello,
>
>  >
>  > Has anyone heard about this? The architecture  seems very similar to Lustre.
>
> while HAMMER design is very interesting and it looks M. Dillon plans to
> ultimately use it as a part of his single-image Dragonfly clustering,
> it's a local file system, and as such cannot be fairly compared to
> Lustre.

I start feeling like an old geezer when I hear about a new filesystem of
the day. Let's compare this once there's at least 1 top500 machine
running hammer. What I really want to know is what happens to a hammer
filesystem when a node starts randomly corrupting memory. Instant
multi-master corruption replication!!

The issues Hammer seems to try to solve in clustering seem to be a lot of the same
issues I decided to try running AFS as the root filesystem.
But It's not a parallel network filesystem.