[Lustre-discuss] Switch for lustre clients

Minh Hien minhhien261 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 19:46:32 PDT 2008

Dear all,
I'll have around 230 lustre clients for 30TB on infinity band. I wonder what kind of switch should be used to maintain performance and reliability to that scale of clients.

Currently, I have 4 choices. The first 3 choices are using 288-port switch, Voltaire Grid Director Switch ISR 9288 (10GB Infinity band) , Grid Director ISR 2012 (20GB Infinity band), or Sun Data Centre Switch 3x24.

The last choice is we could use smaller switch and connect them up, such as 96-port Voltaire Grid Director ISR 9096. It seems a cheaper solution, however, i suspect it could raise performance issue.

With your experience, could you give me some guidelines on how to design the lustre client in this case? Thank you very much.