[Lustre-discuss] OST failover

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Wed Aug 27 10:17:26 PDT 2008

Hi,

You interconnect OSS1 and OSS2, OSS2 and OSS3, OSS3 and OSS4, and OSS4 and
OSS1 together via an out-of-band communication fabric, install Linux-HA
heartbeat software to monitor mount points, and configure nodes to take over
each other¹s mounts in case of failure.

The implementation I have here uses only single point-to-point links between
OSS pairs (there is no crossover between failover partners) but the princple
is the same; your implementation should work pretty much the same way, with
a few minor differences. I¹m assuming you¹ve got unused NICs on your OSSes,
so if you connect those to a standard GigE edge switch protected by UPS, you
can create an HA fabric which will give you the coverage you need.

Lustre itself doesn¹t support failover natively, you need to implement any
failover using a third-party package; most of us out there use Linux-HA to
great effect.

cheers,
Klaus

On 8/27/08 2:30 AM, "sd a" <ewsdas at gmail.com>did etch on stone tablets: