[Lustre-discuss] Mount error with message: "Err -22 on cfg command:"

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Sun Aug 31 22:44:57 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008  15:12 +0200, Reto Gantenbein wrote:
> Some days ago we had a problem that four OSTs were disconnecting
> themselves. To recover, I deactivated them with 'lctl conf_param
> homefs-OST0002.osc.active=0'

Note that using "lctl conf_param" is intended to permanently set a
configuration parameter, not for temprarily disabling an OSC.  To
disable the OSC temporarily you should have just done:

	lctl --device={device} deactivate
and
	lctl --device={device} recover

Now you have a parameter in the configuration log which disables
this OSC as soon as any client mounts...

> remounted them and waited until they
> were recovered and activated them again. Some hosts which kept the
> Lustre file system mounted at this time, resumed to work correctly on
> the paused devices.
>
> But when I want to mount Lustre with on a new client:
>
> node01 ~ # mount -t lustre lustre01 at tcp:lustre02 at tcp:/homefs /home
>
>   it refuses with the following message:
>
> LustreError: 3794:0:(obd_config.c:897:class_process_proc_param())
> homefs-OST0002-osc-ffff81022f630000: unknown param activate=0

It seems you had a typo in your conf_param also...  Handling (ignoring)
of invalid config params is fixed with bug 14693 (fixed in 1.6.5).  It
doesn't fix the problem of the _valid_ command that deactivates this
OSC.

I would suggest rewriting your configuration file with --writeconf,
see "4.2.3.2 Running the Writeconf Command"...

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.