[Lustre-discuss] MDT overloaded when writting small files in large number

Kevin Van Maren Kevin.Vanmaren at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 8 06:58:32 PST 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 09:48 +0530, anil kumar wrote:
>

>> Example:
>> Case1 : If we try to write data set of 1GB with 200Files ; write,
>> delete & read is faster
>> Case2 : if we try to write data set of 1GB with 14000Files ; write,
>> delete & read is very slow.

Just to be clear, 1GB / 14000 = ~70KB/file, while the first case is
5MB/file?

What does your hardware look like (interconnect, MDT & OST raid
configurations, OST/OSS count, how many clients, etc)?

Do you have quantitative results, or just "faster" and "slow"?

Kevin