[Lustre-discuss] Changing lustre network numbers...

Tue Dec 9 10:31:35 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 12:54 -0500, Ms. Megan Larko wrote:
> The MGS/MDS is where I am having some confusion.   On the
> 192.168.64.210 mds1 box, I ran the following for the metadata MGS/MDS
                                                                    ^^^
MDT.

> disk:
> [root at mds1 ~]# tunefs.lustre  --mgs  --writeconf
> --mgsnode=ic-mds1 at o2ib  /dev/METADATA1/LV1

If this is the MGT device, I don't think you don't want to use a
--mgsnode parameter for it.  It may not be fatal to have specified it
though.  However...

> For the two other mdt on the mgs/mds computer, I ran:
> [root at mds1 ~]# tunefs.lustre  --writeconf --mgsnode=ic-mds1 at o2ib /dev/md0
> checking for existing Lustre data: found CONFIGS/mountdata
> Reading CONFIGS/mountdata
>
>    Read previous values:
> Target:     crew3-MDT0000
> Index:      0
> UUID:       crew3mds_UUID
> Lustre FS:  crew3
> Mount type: ldiskfs
> Flags:      0x401
>               (MDT )
> Persistent mount opts:
> errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr,errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
> Parameters: mgsnode=172.18.0.10 at o2ib
>

>    Permanent disk data:
> Target:     crew3-MDT0000
> Index:      0
> UUID:       crew3mds_UUID
> Lustre FS:  crew3
> Mount type: ldiskfs
> Flags:      0x501
>               (MDT writeconf )
> Persistent mount opts:
> errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr,errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
> Parameters: mgsnode=172.18.0.10 at o2ib mgsnode=192.168.64.210 at o2ib

Do you notice here you have two mgsnode parameters now, one for the old
MGS and one for the new?  You need to use --erase-params to clear out
the old one when adding the new one.

> Where have I erred in changing the IP numbers for my Lustre network?
> I hope someone can guide me as to how to fix it.

Did you have all servers and clients down before you did the renumbering
and only bring them backup after completing the the tunefs.lustre
commands?

There is a brief section in the manual about changing server NIDs at
http://manual.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual16_HTML/ConfiguringLustre.html#50548784_pgfId-1289827.  Maybe that will be helpful.

b.