[Lustre-discuss] mkfs.lustre and disk partitions

Jim Albin jim_albin at nrel.gov
Mon Feb 4 07:04:10 PST 2008

Hello,
 I've seen several notes mentioning the disadvantages of using disk
partitions on the storage devices for Lustre OSTs (and/or MDTs). My
questions, if anyone can help me, are;

1) Should I delete any existing partitions on the device?
2) If not, should I partition the device into a single partition with a
specific block size (maybe 1mb)?
3) Can I just use the disk block device (eg, /dev/sda) when I
mkfs.lustre and is it
smart enough to ignore the partition table?

I'm trying to set up Lustre 1.6.3 and am seeing poor performance,
possibly fragmentation on the mdt and ost.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Jim Albin <jim_albin at nrel.gov>