[Lustre-discuss] Luster clients getting evicted

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Mon Feb 4 10:17:37 PST 2008

> Hi Brock,
>
> On Monday 04 February 2008 07:11:11 am Brock Palen wrote:
>> on our cluster that has been running lustre for about 1 month. I have
>> 1 MDT/MGS and 1 OSS with 2 OST's.
>>
>> Our cluster uses all Gige and has about 608 nodes 1854 cores.
>
> This seems to be a lot of clients for only one OSS (and thus for only
> one GigE link to the OSS).

Its more for evaluation, the 'real' file system is a NFS file system
provided by a OnStor bobcat.  So anything is a improvement.  The
cluster IS to big, but there isn't a person at the university who is
willing to pay for anything other than more cluster nodes.  Enough
with politics.

>> We have allot of jobs that die, and/or go into high IO wait,  strace
>> shows processes stuck in fstat().
>>
>> The big problem is (i think) I would like some feedback on it that of
>> these 608 nodes 209 of them have in dmesg the string
>>
>> "This client was evicted by"
>>
>> Is this normal for clients to be dropped like this?
>
> I'm not an expert here, but evictions typically occur when a client
> hasn't been seen for a certain period by the OSS/MDS. This is often
> related to network problems. Considering your number of clients, if
> they all do I/O operations on the filesystem concurrently, maybe your
> Ethernet switches are the bottleneck and have to drop packets. Is your
> GigE network working fine outside of Lustre?
>
> To eliminate networking issues from the equation, you can try to lctl
> ping your MDS and OSS from a freshly evicted node, and see what you
> get. (lctl ping <your-oss-nid>)

I just had another node get evicted while running code causing the
code to lock up.  This time it was the MDS that evicted it.  Pinging
work though:

[root at nyx350 ~]# lctl ping 141.212.30.184 at tcp
12345-0 at lo
12345-141.212.30.184 at tcp

Recovery is slow, this clinet has been evicted for about 10 minutes.

I have attached the output of lctl dk  from the client and some
syslog messages from the MDS.

>> Is there some
>> tuning that needs to be done to the server to carry this many nodes
>> out of the box?  We are using default lustre install with Gige.
>
> Do your MDS or OSS show any particularly high load or memory usage? Do
> you see any Lustre-related error messages in their logs?

Nope both servers have 2GB ram, and load is almost 0.  No swapping.
Thanks