[Lustre-discuss] Question about building Lustre, correct version of GCC

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 4 13:52:25 PST 2008

I am trying to lustre-1.6.4.2 with my system and I am reading through
the documentation to figure out how to it.  I am reading version 1.6_man_v1.9
of the Operations manual.

On page 31, regarding compiler choice, it says:

Compiler Choice
The compiler must be greater than GCC version 3.3.4. Currently, GCC v4.0 is not supported. GCC v3.3.4
has been used to successfully compile all of the pre-packaged releases made available by CFS, and it is
the only officially-supported compiler. Your mileage may vary with other compilers, or even with other
versions of GCC.

NOTE:
GCC v3.3.4 was used to build 2.6 series kernels.

So, which is it?  Is 3.3.4 the right compiler, or does it have to be "greater than" 3.3.4?

Has anyone built Lustre using Centos 5.X?  I am trying to get Lustre working
with 5.1, and have downgraded the kernel for simplicity.  Using a vanilla
2.6.18 kernel, I have been able to build lustre and mount some basic filesystems,
but I have not tested it thoroughly enough to say it works.

Craig

--
Craig Tierney (craig.tierney at noaa.gov)