[Lustre-discuss] Help with lustre 1.6.4

Ali Algarrous ali.algarrous at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:13:46 PST 2008

My name is Ali Algarrous and I'm doing a research about Lustre file
systesm.

I'm running Debian on my machine and after a long time I was able to
install Lustre on my machine. I was able to format devices and mount
clients and servers easily but I had to reinstall the OS. So I started
the process of installing Lustre again and this time it was really
easy.

However, I came across another problem.  When i'm running this
command:  mkfs.lustre --fsname datafs --mdt --mgs /dev/sda3

I get the following error messgae:
gog:~# mkfs.lustre --fsname spfs --mdt --mgs /dev/sda3

 Permanent disk data:
Target:     spfs-MDTffff
Index:      unassigned
Lustre FS:  spfs
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x75
            (MDT MGS needs_index first_time update )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
Parameters: mdt.group_upcall=/usr/sbin/l_getgroups

mkfs.lustre FATAL: loop device requires a --device-size= param

mkfs.lustre FATAL: Loop device setup for /dev/sda3 failed: Invalid
argument
mkfs.lustre: exiting with 22 (Invalid argument)
And then when i specified the size of the disk by putting --device-
size=40371345 I started to get the following error:
gog:/home/algarra# mkfs.lustre --fsname lustrefs --mdt --mgs /dev/sda3

Permanent disk data:
Target:     lustrefs-MDTffff
Index:      unassigned
Lustre FS:  lustrefs
Mount type: ldiskfs
Flags:      0x75
           (MDT MGS needs_index first_time update )
Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,iopen_nopriv,user_xattr
Parameters: mdt.group_upcall=/usr/sbin/l_getgroups

checking for existing Lustre data: not found
mkfs.lustre: size ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

mkfs.lustre FATAL: mkfs failed 19

I'm running kernel 2.6.18.

Would you please help me in solving this problem?

Regards,
Ali

--
Never stop smiling, not even when you're sad, someone might fall in love
with your smile.