[Lustre-discuss] Lustre developer documentation now available

Peter Bojanic Peter.Bojanic at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 6 14:01:29 PST 2008

Dear Lustre Community,

The Lustre Group at Sun is pleased to announce the availability of
detailed technical documentation for Lustre.

This material has existed for some time but was closely guarded
intellectual property by the former CFS. In the spirit of making
Lustre continually more open, we have been encouraged by Sun execs to
make this valuable information available to the Lustre community.

Lustre High Level Designs (HLD): http://arch.lustre.org/index.php?title=LustreHLDs

Lustre Detailed Level Designs (DLD): http://arch.lustre.org/index.php?title=LustreDLDs

Lustre Internals: http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php?title=Lustre_Internals

Lustre HLDs and DLDs are available for download from the CVS
repository in their original Lyx format. The HLD and DLD wiki pages
include CVS download instructions. Additionally, each wiki page has
links for the most current design documents available in PDF format.
For each PDF, the author and date are listed, along with a synopsis.
Over the coming days, we'll continue to make more of the 2008, 2007
and 2006 HLDs and DLDs available as PDFs on the wiki pages.

Note that some of this documentation may be out of date, incomplete,
or not yet implemented in Lustre. But it still provides useful
reference material for understanding Lustre.

The Lustre Internals course was taught a few times in the past year by
Peter Braam. We've decided that it represents more of a useful
knowledge resource than course material.

It is our hope that this documentation will contribute to nurturing a
stronger and more vibrant development community for Lustre.

Cheers,
Bojanic