[Lustre-discuss] Lustre behaviour when multiple network paths are available?

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Feb 7 15:05:56 PST 2008

Hi there,

When Lustre is configured in an environment where there are multiple paths
to the same destination of the same length (i.e. two paths, each one hop
away), which path(s) will be used for sending and receiving data?

I have my cluster configured with two OSTs with two GigE NICs in each. I am
seeing identical performance metrics when I use LACP to aggregate, and when
I use two separate network addresses to connect them (ditto on the client
side).

So what I'm wondering is if I've hit the peak performance of my disk array,
or if Lustre is just using only one path. The numbers I'm seeing in both
scenarios indicate 95% utilization of GigE, times two.

How can I get Lustre to use both paths simultaneously?

thanks,
Klaus