[Lustre-discuss] Luster clients getting evicted

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:33:37 PST 2008

Aaron,

We are running 1.6.3 with some patches that we applied by hand after
rummaging through the Lustre bugzilla database.    We run CentOS 5.0
on the servers and 4.5 on the clients with an updated kernel.

# uname -a
Linux submit.ufhpc 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5Lustre #1 SMP Fri Oct 12 15:51:56
EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We also  run OFED 1.2 which we built with Lustre by  configuring IB
out of the CentOS kernel entirely and then installling OFED.    We
then build the Lustre modules against the resulting kernel and IB
modules.
We are pretty stable right now and are very pleased with Lustre.
It took a little work to get there with the base 1.6.3 release which
we needed for o2ib nids but it has worked out for us so far.

BTW, we agree with the post of a few days ago.    We think the lustre
team has done a fantastic job for the open source  community.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center

On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Aaron Knister wrote:

> So far it's helped. If this doesn't fix it I'm going to apply the
> patch mentioned here - https://bugzilla.lustre.org/attachment.cgi?
> id=14006&action=edit
>   I'll let you know how it goes. If you'd like a copy of the patched
> version let me know. Are you running RHEL/SLES? what version of the OS
> and lustre?
>
> -Aaron

>>> Hi Aaron;
>>>
>>> We set the timeout a big number (1000secs) on our 400 node cluster
>>> (mostly o2ib, some tcp clients).  Until we did this, we had loads
>>> of evictions.  In our case, it solved the problem.
>>
>> This feels excessive.  But at this point I guess Ill try it.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Craig