[Lustre-discuss] rc -43: Identifier removed

Kit Westneat kwestneat at datadirectnet.com
Tue Feb 12 08:27:27 PST 2008

What the group upcall does is get all the secondary groups for the
client user. There isn't enough room in the LNET message to send them
all, so the MDS has to look it up in the /etc/groups. If you don't care
about secondary groups at all, there is no harm in clearing the
group_upcall param.

In theory, there also shouldn't be any harm in having different passwd
and group files on the MDS and OSSes than on the clients. It's highly
important, however, that all the clients have the same passwd and groups
files. Otherwise the clients could interpret the same UID as different
users, and people could go mucking around in each others files.

- Kit