[Lustre-discuss] Trying to build lustre with unsupported kernel

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Feb 13 14:33:10 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008  14:49 -0700, Craig Tierney wrote:
> I am trying to build lustre against and unsupported
> kernel (2.6.20.20).  I am having some issues with it.

Do you really need this kernel on the servers, or could it be a
supported patched kernel on the servers (e.g. RHEL5 2.6.18) and
the 2.6.20.20 kernel patchless on the clients?

Making new kernel patch series is not for the faint of heart,
and is generally not worthwhile for an "older" kernel like this.
We have patches for 2.6.22 in our CVS and in bugzilla, so any
work to get 2.6.20 on the server would be lost effort.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.