[Lustre-discuss] Centos 5 with Lustre

Balagopal Pillai pillai at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Feb 14 16:16:23 PST 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, jrs wrote:
I have two hpc clusters with centos and lustre and most of my important
infrastructure servers like email servers run centos. So far i have no
issues really centos specific that the upstream rhel didn't have and is
a stable solution. But if you intend to switch over to rhel with a support
contract at some point, i am not so sure it is just a matter of pointing
your yum repositories to that of redhat from centos repositories and do
an update. It might need a fresh install of rhel. I have only good
experiences with centos, their forum is also quite active. But if there
will be a tomorrow with no free redhat srpms like suse enterprise linux,
redhat gets bought by some other company with different policies and
priorities etc etc, who knows what future looks for Centos ! In a
university setup i am happy with centos with its compatibility with rhel
and stability and no annual subscription fees for updates. But if i was in another situation like
government, big businesses etc who can afford to pay for subsciptions with redhat or
novell and if software subscriptions like these make a negligible part
of the IT budget, i am not so sure i would have still gone with centos
and not rhel. In my case in the university job, if centos ceases to exist,
i would most likely be a debian fan. Ultimately its your choice and you
are responsible for the consequences, good or bad. Hope it helps.

Balagopal