[Lustre-discuss] Configuration of lustre FS on single node

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Feb 29 10:06:46 PST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008  12:07 +0530, ashok bharat bayana wrote:
> I successfully build lustre(1.6.4.2) on my system for a patchless client But I dont know how to proceed in configuring the file system.
>
> I'm trying to build all MDS,client and MDT's on a single node.

The "patchless client" is ONLY a client, there is no MDS or OSS support
if you build against an unpatched kernel.  You always have to have a
patched kernel for server support, or download the lustre-patched kernel
and RPMs.

> >From the tutorials I came to know that
>
> First, create an MDT for the "spfs" file system that uses the /dev/sda disk. This MDT also acts as the MGS for the site.
>
> $ mkfs.lustre --fsname spfs --mdt --mgs /dev/sda
>
> But by triggering this command my system crashed in which the whole data
> is lost and again I need to install the OS.

It seems likely that /dev/sda is your root filesystem device.  You need
to use a dedicated disk/partition for the Lustre MDT, as well a different
disk/partition for each OST.  You can also use loopback files for testing
purposes.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.