[Lustre-discuss] Latest RHEL kernel: won't make mgs module, and ko2iblnd not built for right OFED modules

Chris Worley worleys at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 13:32:04 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Andreas Dilger <adilger at sun.com> wrote:
> On Feb 29, 2008  07:49 -0700, Chris Worley wrote:
>  > Lustre 1.6.4.2, OFED 1.2.5.5, RHEL kernel 2.6.9.67.0.4.
>  >
>  > Configured with: --with-o2ib --with-ldiskfs
>  >
>  > mgs.ko is built but not wrapped into modules rpm, with an undefined
>  > external that should be from the lvfs module (lvfs_check_rdonly).
>
>  This appears that your kernel is not patched properly.

I tried patching the kernel myself, then making Lustre, but found that
it too patched the kernel and didn't like the patches to be installed
first.  So, I returned to a pristine kernel and let Lustre's "make" do
the patching.

I figure not all the patching was proper, as I'm using an unsupported
RedHat kernel (the latest).

If there's documentation on how to control the patching, especially of
an unsupported kernel, please point me there.

The README in the toplevel directory pointed to a URL that no longer
exists, and the  PDF manual available from Sun was very slim in its
coverage of the build process.

Thanks,

Chris