[Lustre-discuss] Problems with failover

Mertol Ozyoney Mertol.Ozyoney at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 4 02:04:50 PST 2008

Data protection and business continuity come at a price both money wise and
performance wise.

The architecture and components of a Lustre system should be determined by
deciding about what components failures system should be able to tolerate.

If you want to tolerate OSS server failure you will need

1)      2x OSS clustered server

2)      More complex installation

3)      FC/SAS non-caching HBA's

4)      Shared disk with NV Ram capability

5)      Less performance per dollar

If you want to tolerate disk failures

1)      Soft or Hard raid on Lun's.

2)      Raid costs some performance

If you want to tolerate tray failure

1)      Vertical raid sets.

2)      However if a tray fails in a vertical raid 5 setup, this will put a
lot of problem during rebuilding.

If you want to tolerate a entire storage system failover

1)      Multiple storage systems behind OSS (pair) You might use software
raid across individual disk systems

2)      Rebuild will take a lot of time (ZFS will offer dirty time logging
and will cure this)

If you want to tolerate OSS system fail

1)      You need to wait Lustre network raid , however this will put some
pressure on clients.

Today, distributed disk systems do not offer much advantage when used with
Lustre. Replication across a limited bandwith and coharancy problems limits
the performance. And the cost is high.

Lustre systems are normally tuned for performance not HA . And Lustre can
tolerate a OSS fail without much problem. So it might not be wise to spent a
lot of money on Lustre HA when only you are going to gain is a 1-2 hours
more availability per year.

Best regards

Mertol