[Lustre-discuss] compiling lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Jan 9 19:03:17 PST 2008

On Jan 09, 2008  15:08 -0500, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> I'm trying to get lustre going on several redhat 4 update 4 x86_64 machines.
>
> i went to grab the lustre rpm's from sun, but it appears the kernel
> rpm's are for redhat 4 update 5.
>
> so i in turn figured i'd compile the lustre sources against the
> kernel-devel rpm's that came with rhel4ud4, however when i run through
> the quilt process it appears that it's trying to use the 2.6.9-55
> patches against my 2.6.9-44 patches.
>
> So the question is, am i doing something stupidly wrong here, or does
> lustre 1.6.4.1 only support 2.6.9-55 kernels on redhat?

Our policy is that the latest Lustre release works with the latest distro
kernels.

If you use the prepatched kernel from an older Lustre release, or the kernel
patches if you want it against a different U4 kernel, it _should_ be possible
to build the more recent Lustre release against it.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.