[Lustre-discuss] e2fsprogs-1.40.2.cfs5-0redhat.x86_64.rpm install conflicts with e2fsprogs-libs-1.39-10.el5.rpm

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Jan 10 14:00:13 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008  09:58 -0700, Lundgren, Andrew wrote:
> I am working with CentOS 5 and e2fsprogs-1.40.2.cfs5-0redhat.x86_64.rpm.
>
> I had to build the rpm myself from the source rpm as the version on the distribution site is built with db4-4.2 and the CentOS distro comes with db4-4.3.  Not a concern there.
>
> However when I go to install the RPM with the --upgrade option it complains that there is a conflict with e2fsprogs-libs-1.39-10.el5.rpm
>
> Is there a newer version of the libs as well?  I did a --force on the install to proceed, but I am concerned that this may cause more problems.
>
> What is the correct solution?

It seems the newer versions of the distros are splitting up e2fsprogs in
order to allow the component libraries (libcom_err, libblkid, libuuid)
to be installed separately from the e2fsprogs tools (e2fsck, mke2fs, etc).

You could add a couple lines to the redhat section of e2fsprogs.spec.in
so that rpm knows to remove that library when doing an upgrade:

Obsoletes: e2fsprogs-libs < %{version}
Provides: e2fsprogs-libs = %{version} ldiskfsprogs

Please let me know if this works, and I can add it to the next release.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.