[Lustre-discuss] How to configure Redundant NICs over separate switches and subnets.

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Mon Jan 21 14:24:10 PST 2008

I am still unclear on how this should be configured.

All of my clients, OSS and MGS servers have two nics, on different subnets, connected to different switches. This is done for network redundancy.  We are also using aliased IP addresses for lustre in the 192.168 address space.  We are not bonding interfaces.

In my /etc/modprobe.conf file on all of the machines I have the following line:

options lnet networks=tcp0(eth1:0),tcp1(eth0:0)

When I format my OSTs, I have used:

mkfs.lustre  --fsname stage --ost --mgsnode=192.168.135.999 at tcp0 --param="failover.mode=failout" /dev/md6

Where 999 is the IP on the aliased nic.  (Should I use both tcp0 and tcp1 with a comma?)

When I mount the clients in my /etc/fstab, I have done this:

192.168.136.81 at tcp0,192.168.135.80 at tcp1:/stage     /stage           lustre  defaults,_netdev 0 0

My intent is that if one path to the MGS fails, the second one will be used.

Am I doing this correct, or am I off base here?

Thanks!

--
Andrew Lundgren