[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.4.2 released

Tue Jan 22 09:39:06 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 15:37 +0100, Per Lundqvist wrote:

> Hi Jody,

Hi Per.  I'm Jody but I will try to answer.

>  I notice that the rhel kernels are quite old: 2.6.9-55.0.9.EL is
> from rhel4 update 5 and 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5 is from rhel5, before update 1.
> The latest snapshots are rhel4 update 6 (2.6.9-67.0.1.EL) and rhel5 update
> 1 (2.6.18-53.1.4.el5) respectively.
>
> What is the reason for staying so far behind the latest kernels?

1.6.4.2 (and 1.6.4.1) are bugfix releases.  They contain only the most
minimal changes needed to fix the bugs.  This it give comfort and
re-assurance there will be no ripple effects from other unneeded updates
when upgrading.

>  (We have
> a problem with a bug in the e1000 driver on both the older kernels - but
> there are also a couple of security fixes in the newer kernels that should
> be of interest to everybody)

I believe new kernels have been scheduled for 1.6.5.  I'm not positive
which ones, but istr seeing new kernels patches landing for the next 1.6
release.

Cheers,
b.