[Lustre-discuss] How to configure Redundant NICs over separate switches and subnets.

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Tue Jan 22 10:12:03 PST 2008

> As far as I know, LNET will use the shortest path on the
> network, so if you have two equivalent tcp networks, tcp0 and
> tcp1, LNET will just  use the first one.  If it fails, it
> should use the second one.
> If both NICs are in the same tcp network, LNET should use both.
> Whether you decide on one or two LNET networks is up to you.

So setting up tcp0(eth1:0,eth0:0) and tcp0(eth1:0),tcp1(eth0:0) are functionally equivalent for what I am doing?

> Regardless, your fstab entry is not correct.  You should only
> list one server as the host:
>
> > 192.168.136.81 at tcp0:/stage     /stage           lustre
> > defaults,_netdev 0 0
>
> or
>
> > 192.168.135.80 at tcp1:/stage     /stage           lustre
> > defaults,_netdev 0 0
>
> If one NIC fails, while a client is not mounted, you would
> have to change the fstab to remount.  If lustre is already
> mounted, it should just use the other LNET network.

Then as long as the box does not reboot while the network is down, the mount should still function, just over the secondary path?

Thank you for the clarification.

--
Andrew