[Lustre-discuss] files/directories are temporarily unavailable on patchless clients

Harald van Pee pee at hiskp.uni-bonn.de
Thu Jan 24 12:11:19 PST 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 08:13 pm, you wrote:
> Hello Harald,
>
> > Jan 21 18:12:51 node0010 kernel: Lustre: 5717:0:
> > (namei.c:235:ll_mdc_blocking_ast()) More than 1 alias dir 134120476 alias
> > 2 Jan 21 18:12:51 node0010 kernel: Lustre: 5717:0:
> > (namei.c:235:ll_mdc_blocking_ast()) Skipped 6 previous similar messages
>
> this looks very much like a real bug (and I don't have time to look into
> it). I would also guess it is fixed by more recent lustre version. I think
> there have been many changes of the patchless client between 1.6.0.1 and
> 1.6.1 or 1.6.2.
> You really can't update your client systems by now?

Hm at the moment not, we have urgent jobs running all arround the day.
All heavy writing tasks we have done to local disks now, none of the error
messages occoured since.

But its worth to think about that. Updating the clients alone should be
possible much earlier than updating all machines, and of course can be done
machine by machine.

But I would assume, that to be sure that no serious file system corruption
will happen, I should also make a file system check on all the ost and maybe
also mdt?

But you are right, because 1.6.0.1 servers with 1.6.1 clients is a supported
configuration right? And therefore updating the clients asap would be a good
idea!
Any objections about that?

Harald

--
Harald van Pee

Helmholtz-Institut fuer Strahlen- und Kernphysik der Universitaet Bonn