[Lustre-discuss] getting filesystem metadata

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Thu Jan 24 16:47:18 PST 2008

On 21 Jan 2008, at 15:03, Brock Palen wrote:
> It appears if i do a find that the OST's still do allot of disk
> seeks.  Is there a way to explicitly pull this data from just the mdt
> with out walking all 3 TB of data?

I don't think there's a "nice" way to do this just yet.

We snapshot the MDS volume, mount the snapshot, and then trawl
through that. It's an order of magnitude faster than walking the
lustre filesystem for what we are doing (building file lists for
incremental backups). You can't get size information off the MDS
(yet) though.

Depending on exactly what you need to do, you might be able to use
e2scan (check bug #13108 for details)