[Lustre-discuss] MDT Snapshot orphaned inodes

Mon Jan 28 11:44:32 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:34 -0500, Aaron Knister wrote:
> I'm trying to snapshot my mdt using lvm and back it up.
>
> After i take the snapshot and go to mount the volume (as ldiskfs) I
> end up with all kinds of warnings about orphaned inodes. Is this
> normal?

It is.  You are trying to mount a (copy of a) filesystem that is in an
"open" state rather than the state it would be in if you were mounting a
filesystem that had had gone through an "unmount".

> Is this a sign of potential problems with my MDT?

No.  But your backup will not truly be a snapshot in time at the exact
moment you took it since any transactions which have not been flushed
from the journal at the snapshot time will be backed out when you mount
it.

Ideally, you could have ldiskfs close off the journal and quiesce the
filesystem before you take your snapshot and you would not see those
errors and would have a real snapshot it time copy.  I don't know that
there is a way to do that though, and really the result is probably
close enough if you are doing something like a daily backup or such.

b.