[Lustre-discuss] Questions on MDT inode size

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Jan 29 00:46:42 PST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008  17:21 +0100, Jakob Goldbach wrote:
> The documentation warns about using smaller inodes than 512 bytes on the
> MDT. If I plan to use a stripecount of one (I have many small files), is
> it possible to use an inode size of 256 bytes and still use in-inode EAs
> for metadata ?

Yes, this will fit (up to 2 stripes), but you may encounter performance
problems in the future if ACLs, user xattr, kerberos, etc. are ever used.

In general, the MDS storage is very small compared to the other usage so
the 512-byte inodes are not a significant limit.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.